Monday 29 August 2011

Manfeild: My first outing

For someone who writes a blog (at least tries to), one would think that they would at least be knowledgeable and understanding of what they are writing or talking about and have had at least enough experience in that hobby to be able to say "yep, I've done that". The weekend that has just passed, I have broken my track virginity, and set myself loose to have some fun and just get some seat time.

However, my efforts were cut short early, suffering from (at the time of writing this post) coil pack failure on one of the four. I sounded like a tractor/Subaru on boost as I was choking at 5000rpm. This forced me to retire mid day despite only having one full session (running a 1:35 for my second lap on the track as my best), then two limped sessions just to see if my problem was going to improve.

Full set of day's photos can be found here. A big thanks must go out to Lauren, my lovely girlfriend, for taking majority of the photos. Although watermarked as mine, I'll make sure she gets credit for the photos that she took, which were all very good!
IMG_0543

IMG_0385
Waiting for scruntineering - passed easy!

IMG_0405
The sound of it coming on boost and with the external wastegate open, it was glorious.

IMG_0397
V8 MX8 - who can say no? End of the day, he put on his slicks and blew past some serious cars.

IMG_0420
Want.

IMG_0422
Tony's f***ing quick EF Civic. He has been racing this track since a very young age, and knows it like the back of his hand.

IMG_0423
Some of the local drifters hitting up a grip event with the closure of Slipway in Wellington still being an issue. Not to say no drifting occurred on track that day...

IMG_0414
This car doesn't get to run more than one, not even finishing his lap. Blowing his gearbox to smithereens!

IMG_0435
This was serious. The sound of it flying past you at 200kph+ is something you don't forget quickly.

IMG_0430
Notice the midmount steering column. This was loud too, I've never seen such an incredible car, although, it does race in GTNZ.

IMG_0439
The calm before the storm.

IMG_0442
First proper run of the day.

IMG_0449
By far the loudest car out there, this flying brick was not to be sneezed at. Running very good times (albeit very noisily) throughout the day.

IMG_0461
Lining up!

IMG_0463

IMG_0459
View from the front. My friend Andrew in the Civic ran blistering times (1:25~); for someone who's been on Manfeild once prior, that is very, very impressive.

IMG_0464
Mmmm...

IMG_0477
And away I go!

IMG_0491
I am a fan of this S13, have seen it another photoshoot, it is a drift weapon but driver has skill and held his own out there.

IMG_0492
Amazing cars with the Evo was very quick around the track

IMG_0493
Another shot of the Porsche as it was rolling out of it's pit after being set up on the day.

IMG_0496
Nom

IMG_0511
This ran in the Rookie class with me as well, from what I heard, it was using the track time as teething time. I found his build on oldschool - Build thread

IMG_0535

IMG_0503
Would hate to think how cold that must be. Then again, the adrenaline rush that one would get from driving that! Even I was all smiles behind my helmet as I was blasting off around the track.

IMG_0547
Andrew blasting ahead, blitzing a turbo R33 along the way during the day! Well done man.

IMG_0545
Photo of Tony and his EF again. Nom.

Be sure to check out my friend Lawrence and his photos here, he covers lots of car related events, including Manfeild. Hopefully, I'll be back out there soon!



Yemo

1 comment: